What better way to close out the first annual Tree Festival in Metropolitan Park of downtown Jacksonville than a big drum circle? Festival attendees received free trees to plant while learning about the importance of trees in city planning, home value, and decreasing their utility bills.
We provided a community drum circle to end the festival on a high note. Both children and adults had a blast honing their playing skills while learning how drumming can encourage team-building and enhance overall wellness. Participants had the chance to lead the group in the “wave” (drumming-style) as well as volume cues. We ended the drum circle by playing a game that illustrates how when each person contributes just one beat to a rhythm, we can make magical music together!
We love helping you bring awareness to your festival or event through rhythm! If you’ve got a community or private event coming up that you’d like to add a little rhythm to, contact us!
We had the pleasure of drumming with some very inspiring girls and women at Girls Inc. of Jacksonville’s Mentor/Mentee Kickoff Party on February 17th!
Mentors, mentees, and parents had the opportunity to meet, mingle and drum, with the goal of breaking the ice (and drumming up excitement, pun intended!) for their mentoring program.
During the drumming portion of the evening, participants got to:
- Learn to make up their own rhythms on a variety of drums and percussion
- Lead the group with volume, start/stop, and grouping cues
- Support one another both musically and emotionally
- Get over those ‘first-day jitters’ and release stress
- Have lots of fun and be a little playful!
Drum circles are a wonderful way to kick off an event, especially for a program that brings people together from a variety of backgrounds. After the drum circle, participants had the opportunity to share how they were feeling. Many reported they were feeling more relaxed, less stressed, more connected, and more excited for the mentoring program to start. The group was able to achieve a sense of unity at the end of the evening that pumped them up and allowed everyone to feel supported.
Check out the photos below, and contact us if you want to find out how your group can benefit from a team-building drum circle!
Two back to back indoor drumming sessions with Camp Zion in Pompano were just a blast! Kids enjoyed the rhythm games and controlling the drum circle volume. Learning leadership, teamwork, and rhythm without breaking a sweat!
Engaging activities during the drum circle:
- Icebreakers – the facilitator starts everyone drumming right off the bat through activities that are designed to elicit smiles, giggles, and outright laughter.
- Drum Jam! – participants learn to listen to, play together and support each other as a group. They also have the opportunity to lead the group by utilizing signals to control the volume level and the groups playing.
- Interactive games – participants focus on social skills and nonverbal communication skills through games that encourage teamwork. During these games we utilize props such as Boomwhackers percussion tubes, egg shakers, balls, and a crowd favorite, the ‘magic wand.’
- Emotional connections – the workshops often end with participants expressing their feelings on the drum by connecting with a specific memory or goal. They then get an opportunity to share their experiences and what they’ve learned – plus do one more group drum roll for one last opportunity to make noise!
Like what you see? Book us for your next event!